Sunday, April 18, 2010

Home Grown Produce and Recipies

Grow your own produce

In my next few posts I am going to discuss growing plants for eating and hopefully offer a few recipes that use them. I am going  to speak about the plants I grow here in my garden in the Blue Mountains how I grow them and what I use them for.

I am going to begin with Citrus as most of them they grow well here. I have 4 varieties of Lemons (Lisbon, Eureka,  Meyer and a Spanish one I bought some years ago (I lost the label for the Spanish one but I think it is called Fino). I also have an Australian finger lime, Tahitian limes , Kaffir limes (basically the leaves are used in Thai cooking - but the fruit is great if you get them as a bonus) and only 1 Orange, a Seville Orange because it is the most difficult to find in stores and only available for a short season - basically now in Autumn and winter.

All of the citrus are growing in pots, of various sizes - I have a small garden and I grow in pots because I simply can't grow that many in the small space I have. But they grow well when looked after and supply me with almost all my citrus needs. In future posts I am going to give some details on how I grow them  all but I first of all want to speak about my favorite the Seville Orange and its uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment