Thursday, April 22, 2010

Seville Orange Marmalade

Marmalade can really be made with any citrus fruit or mix of them.It is easy to make though takes some time to complete the process. Many say that it is not worth it as its cheap to buy in supermarkets and one jar lasts a long time. This may all be so but to me misses the point of growing your own produce. The basic ingredients are organic and home grown (except of course the sugar - I haven't got around to growing that yet).  And so what if you make too many jars - give the extras to friends they generally are only too happy to have it?

This recipe that I have used for many years only uses Seville oranges - no lemons or cumquats added as they are in some recipes I've seen. Anyway for me cumquates taste more bitter than sour and lemons are not necessary with Seville oranges. I also use less sugar than normal this may mean it doesn't keep as long: but I sometimes add Scotch which is a preservative in itself.  To make it set the usual formula is to add the same amount of sugar as there is liquid. Thus if you have 5 cups of liquid you should add 5 cups of sugar. I find this far too much sugar and if t doesn't set I sometimes have to resort to jam setter. Anyway my marmalade doesn't last long and the reduced sugar content seems to intensify the taste. Also, I think the marmalade is much better and sets easier if the oranges are fresh. When  I take them straight from the tree and use them immediately the end result is better - I have no scientific evidence for this - it is just a personal observation.

Ingredients

I kg fresh Seville oranges (about 5 oranges)
about 500 grams sugar (I use raw caster sugar it dissolves faster) - you can add more sugar if you want a sweeter marmalade.
jam setter if necessary
water
a quantity of scotch
salt

1. peel the rind from the oranges and cut into fine strips - as thin or course as you like it
2. cut out the segments and discard the pith and white membranes but separate the seeds out, of which there are many, and wrap in cheesecloth or muslin or chux or some such cloth.
3. place the peel, any juice and flesh of the oranges in a glass,ceramic or stainless steel fire proof container just cover with water maybe up to 2 litres add a pinch of salt and the seeds in the cloth and simmer until the peel is soft.
4. leave the mixture in the pan overnight or longer maybe 24 hours
5. after leaving overnight or longer add the sugar to the orange mixture, take out the seeds and discard and boil vigorously for half an hour or longer.You may need to add more water if the mixture reduces too much.
6. boil until the jam starts to set - you will notice it gets more syrupy.  Place some of the syrup on a cold plate if it starts to stiffen its ready. If not setting do not boil for tool long you may have to add some jam setter - this is not really PC but I have to resort to it sometimes it depends on the fruit I think; sometimes it sets easier than others. Careful with the jam setter don't use too much or it will be too hard.
7. Have some sterilised jars ready not to large ( l heat them in the oven for about an hour they are OK)
8. Wait for the mixture to cool a little - add some scotch, single malt if you have it. I never measure how much but maybe a wine glass or two or more if you wish.
9. pour the jam into the jars seal with a plastic wrap (you can buy special seals for jam at the supermarkets) screw on the lid and its ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment